Tuesday 6 November 2007

Sunday at zero time

The continuing sunny weather and warm(ish) days, made my mind up for me on Sunday to visit Greenwich. A convenient 30 minutes on the Tube and Docklands Light Rail, Greenwich has quite a few diversions for the sight see-er.

The high street is a rather charming place to stroll (well it would be if the crowds were not quite so numerous! ...something I am coming to terms with wherever I go in London). But beyond the high street is the Cutty Sark, currently undergoing substantial conservation and unfortunately wrapped in plastic, but the visitor centre fills you in on the progress of the works and the unfortunate fire earlier in the year.


Behind the Cutty Sark is the Greenwich Naval Hospital (see photo) a beautiful collection of buildings built by several monarchs before being given over to a hospital and home for pensioned seamen. These days it is open to the public and also the home of the Trinity College of Music.


I spent a little longer here than I intended, but I was well worth the time. The Painted Hall and the Chapel (pictured) are fascinating and built on a grand scale beyond any space I can think of in Australia. I was lucky enough to time my visit to the Chapel with an organ recital provided by the TCofM, and spent half an hour soaking up the strains of the organ and the intricate detail of the Neo-Greek interior.


I did not have the time to climb the hill through the park to the Observatory, or have anywhere near the time needed by the Maritime Museum across the road... oh well, a good excuse to go back!

No comments: