Saturday 24 November 2007

Anything for a decent flat white...

Coffee in London is a strange thing... the locals think it to be wonderful... they spend hours sitting in coffee shops reading, writing, chatting and drinking soup-bowl-like cupfuls of warmish milk with a slight flavour of coffee, topped with anaemic foam. I guess you can fool all the people all the time!
The city is dominated by chain coffee houses... Starbucks, Costa and Nero. The average fair they serve is so cheap that no-one else can compete... the independent coffee house is a rarity!
But... they do exist, and to seek them out is to find a better standard (slightly)!
The flat white is also a rarity. As far as I know only 3 establishments in the entire Greater London area serve a flat white... thankfully one is a 10 minute walk from my flat and the other 2 are 5 minutes from my office!
Those of you in Australia reading this... have a decent coffee somewhere for me!

No comments: