Saturday 24 November 2007

10 Minutes at Australia House

This week included voting day for me, as the Federal Election loomed Saturday...

I was quite looking forward to voting in the UK... I had heard that is was quite fun ...a line of Aussies around the block outside Australia House (conveniently and prominently located at the City end of the Strand) a good bit of chat, political leg pulling etc...

It seems the time I chose to arrive was not exactly peak. I did not have to queue, I spent 25 seconds in the security check while a metal detector was waved over me... I wrote out my absentee paperwork, voted and was gone... I barely had time to admire the grand interior of the Australian High Commission. It was all over in 10 minutes. Clearly 11am on a Wednesday was not the time for witty pavement conversation while waiting to vote... next time, after work!

The polling place was the main hall of Australia House. Surrounded by marble columns and floors, gilt light fittings, ornamentation and statuary, the cardboard voting booths, fold out table and election paperwork looked shabby and, thankfully, temporary... still, it was better than Manly West State Pre-school! ...now all I have to do it swing an invitation to the High Commission Ball, which I am sure makes much better use of the room!

No comments: