Thursday 3 April 2008

between travel...

I am between travel right now. I have plans though. I will be in Edinburgh for the weekend in 2 weeks (probably dealing with brass monkeys cold!) and then I have a long weekend in Hamburg, the first weekend in May …and of course hot on the heals of that trip the parents will be here.

But right now… I am between travel. The weather has been average since Easter - in fact it was average during Easter. It was distinctly more average here in London with storms hail and snow that it was in Barcelona… so I was definitely better off where I was!

Being between travel is interesting as you get into the general life of the city… work, eat, sleep, work, drink, eat, sleep, work, eat, sleep… It makes me realise what life would be like here if I wasn’t travelling every few weeks. It would be just like home with crappy weather, better public transport (when it runs) and too many people.

It’s times like this that I really miss Brisbane, and, strangely enough, it’s not the things I used to do that I miss. It’s all the things I didn’t do, or do very often anyway. How easy it is to take weekend and go to the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast, Straddie, the mountains, Byron Bay, Sydney, Melbourne… and how often did I take that weekend? Once, maybe twice, a year if I was lucky. Now I sit here and get fidgety if I haven’t been out of London for 2 weeks! I look for things to do, day trips, museums… last weekend I walked for 3 hours on Sunday afternoon. It was sunny and warm(ish) and I just walked. Never (ever!) did that in Brisbane (of course 3 hours walking in Brisbane would see you dead of heat exhaustion on some vertical hill in Paddington!).

So, the weekend approaches and I have no plans, and it annoys me! The weather is not looking great so that limits the options. But, London is a big place… and I haven’t seen it all yet. There are definitely things to do in London to fill the gaps when I am between travel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are very much enjoying your experiences overseas in particular the Travelogues.Keep up the good work on the Blog.We are pleased and proud of your achievments Cheers from Potty, Bruce and Joan