Friday 6 June 2008

still in London

It's been rather a while now since I wrote about life in London...
It's my current place of residence but, to be honest, it doesn't feel like home... I still think of Brisbane as home, which is probably a good thing. My life here was only ever intended to be temporary...
That said I have decided to stay on for 2009. The company I work for seems to like me and wants me to stay and, despite what feels like constant travel, I have seen only a small part of what I came here to see.
I am pretty much used to day to day life here now... the crowds, the grey skies, every so often, a sunny afternoon sipping Pimms on the Southbank watching the sun set over the West End.
Summer makes for a very pleasant London actually. Daylight saving adds a lot of time to the day and the warm weather makes walking to and from work on fine days a pleasure. I guess it's why people stay here - summer in London makes you forget all about February in London, when the temperatures get below freezing and the sun sets at 4:30pm. I am glad I had the winter first though. It has allowed me to appreciate the warmth and sunshine all the more.
I have been here 7 months now. On my way to work every day I pass the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey, and walk across Trafalgar Square. My office is in the heart of Covent Garden 100 yards from Covent Garden Market. On my way home I walk across the Thames and even now still admire the view down toward the City and St Paul's Cathedral ...and most importantly it still all makes me smile! I guess when I stop smiling I will know it's time to go home.

No comments: