Tuesday 12 February 2008

Bath Part 1

Well, here I am, recently returned from a weekend of travel, and writing about it... while slightly under the influence!

Congratulations, this it the first blog of mine you are reading written after a few pints (actually far to many for a Tuesday night!). Be that as it may, I thought it time to write about last weekend.

First let me set the scene...

It is hard to describe the perfection of the weather last weekend. Saturday was almost warm, the sun was shining with an Australian brightness and the air was crystal clear, and I was lucky enough to be visiting South East England. Bath, Stonehenge, Cheddar Gorge and Wells to be precise.

My weekend started at a rediculously early hour for London... 8.37am when my train left Paddington (well, actually it was 40 min earlier when I left my flat to get the tube to Paddington but that doesn't count)

2 hours and some railway signal delays later I was in Bath and in the delightful company of Jean. Jean and her husbane Roger are friend of my parents after meeting in Northern Australia, and they very kindy offered me bed and breakfast and some wonderful sight seeing and company while I was in Bath.

Perhaps the easiest way to describe the weekend is quickly outline what I got up to. (In part 2 I will try and go into more detail)

Well, on arrival in Bath, Jean met me at the station and took me straight to the Pump Room for a coffee and a Bath Bun following morning tea seranaded by the musical trio in the Pump Room we spent an hour and a half walking about the city. Jean proved an admirable guide showing me some of the more famous areas of the city and eventually depositing me at the collection point for my afternoon tour to to Stonehenge and the ancient town of Laycock (I'll write more about the tour in the part 2 bit!)

Let me just say at this stage that I could not have asked for a better afternoon to visit one of Englands most ancient sites.

Jean and Roger met me on my return the Bath after the tour and the following morning offered to show me Cheddar Gorge and the nearby town of Wells.

Between them, they are a wealth of information about the area and proved wonderful tour guides.

The weekend ended with my train journey back to London (again interupted by National Rail problems) and a surprisingly relaxing nights sleep before the work week commenced.

Well, thats about it for my summary blog about the weekend... next time I will try and tell you a bit more about the things i saw... right now... I need to sleep off the pints!

g'night!

No comments: